Pages

Saturday, April 4, 2015

Japan Journal Ten: I Startle a Random Dude Who is Making a Campfire, and Other Adventures

Today was the most magical day <3
It's Halloween, which was so much fun. We had a party in shodoubu, and ate lots of candy, and everyone was in good spirits today, and, in general, it was just a fun and fabulous day. But today, I communicated with so many different people, and so naturally--it was wonderful. At school, I was talking to a lot of people, as I normally do, but after school, while I was waiting for my host mother at Lawson, a dude (who I recognized from school, but to whom I had never spoke) was also waiting, and HE made conversation with ME! Which never happens with Japanese boys, in my experience. They avoid me like I have the plague. So, I was hype. My goal is to practice Japanese as much as possible, with as many different people as possible, so this ROCKED.
And, I know what some of you are thinking--OMG, Japanese husband material! Hehe, maybe. But, he was waiting for someone to get out of soccer practice, so that they could walk home together, and I think that it may have been his boyfriend. So, possibly no dice. No big deal, though, we still got to talk, so I was satisfied.
He is the only other person at my school with brown hair, so I asked after it, and interestingly enough, although he is 100% Japanese, he was born blonde! I was really surprised. I thought he may have dyed it, because he is really into doing hair, but he claims that it's natural.
....................................
Babywearing mama in this video! She TURNS DOWN FOR WHAT, man. Babywearing = hands-free = amazing dancing!
.........................
I saw a foreigner at the station today, and we gave each other the mutual not of agnoledgment. It was beautiful.
.......................
"Remember taking you first survey? It was a pretty big deal."
What the crap, Survey Monkey commerical. No, I don't remember taking my first survey. What kind of question is that? Who remembers taking their first survey?
.............................
Today, we were watching TV, and there was a commericial for a special that was airing on the same channel that night.
All this odd stuff was going on; people skydiving, biking around, it was very dusty and desert-y looking, and basically everyone was shirtless. About 30 seconds in, I was like, this is almost definitely about Burning Man.
Me: "I think this is about Burning Man."
Then, a few minuets later, a title announcing that it was, indeed, about Burning Man, came up, and my family was accurately impressed by my knowledge of American culture.
Yeah, I know things.
...........................
I love The Bloggess.
...............................
I helped a little girl who was lost at the store today! She was so cute.
I was at the grocery store, and I heard a little kid wandering around saying "Jiji...Jiji...," so I knew that someone must have been separated from their Grandfather. I went around the corner and found a little girl (she was no older than five) looking kind of forlorn. I thought she might be kind of freaked about by a strange foreigner offering to help her, but the "ZOMG FOREIGNERS" that plagues pretty much all Japanese people doesn't seem to affect kids at all, because when I said, "Hello, can I help you?" she told me right away that she couldn't find her Grandfather and that she needed help. After quite a bit of wandering around (during which we elicited help from a random store employee and my host sister), we found her Grandfather, and she was SO happy. As she left the store, I yelled "bye bye!" to her, and she gave me the biggest smile! Such a cute little kid. And a smart chika, too--she really kept her head in this situation. So, yay for finding Grandpa!
..........................
When my parents are on Skype and want to meet someone, and then I have to carry my laptop somewhere, I always feel a little bit like I'm dragging around iTeacher from Ned's Declassified.
..........................
People keep asking me when I'm going to get a boyfriend, as if I can fire off a date off the top of my head. I'm going to start answering, like
"When are you going to get a boyfriend?"
"November 25, 2015."
Like man, guys, thanks for constantly reminding me of my inability to attract a mate. Let's be real, I'm 18, I don't NEED a boyfriend. Golly gracious.
...............................
I'm going to slap the next person who tried to translate something for me that I already understand. It's driving me insane. Like, today:
Me: "I went to kotobu (koto club) today!"
Host Dad: "Ahh, koto..(in English) Japanese guitar." (Which it definitely isn't, but whatever, I'm willing to overlook that).
Me: "I know. I'M IN THE CLUB."
It's baffling for me when someone translates a word that I just used. Like, I know what it means, I'M THE ONE WHO BROUGHT IT UP. Just because I am foreign doesn't mean that I can't speak Japanese.
...................
I guess the YouTube commercial campaign is happening here, too, because I just saw a commercial for Max Murai on TV! And I saw one for Bilingirl the other day, as well. Pretty cool.
......................................
Today on Massan, Ellie was like, "Can you get me some lemon and some honey? I need to make myself some cold medicine," and I was like, "ARE YOU ME?" Oh my goodness. We are the same person. Hippie remedies for life.
....This all occurred while I was assuming that she was going to make herself hot lemonade, flavoured with honey instead of sugar, which is what I always make myself when I am sick. And then she pulled out some whiskey and made a hot toddy. For a small child. Which brings up a few questions/comments, including:
1. Apparently, every time I get sick, I make virgin hot toddies to coax myself back to health? So, that's not weird at all.
2. Although Ellie and I are basically the same person, It's not 1920, so I don't feed whisky to small children. Did they even do that in Scottland in the 1920's? Or in Japan? When was it permissible to feed your children hot toddies? Why didn't she make a virgin one? What are you doing, Ellie?
3. I was just like, "Wait, this show is all about the creation of whisky in Japan, and yet, it's set during prohibition?" And then I realized that prohibition wasn't worldwide, obviously. DUH. I'm tired.
But, despite the questionable judgment involved in this scene, it was legit. Ellie is my spirit animal forever.
..................
..................
Me, about everything in Japan:

........................
I could be Sue Heck for Halloween, but then everyone would think that I didn't dress up.
......................
People at the store always ask me if I want my purchase to be registered as one purchase (like, credit card), and I'm like, "It's a bag of granola. How are you going to split that up?" Next time, I just want to be like, "Yes, I would like it credited as 10 purchases, please. I realize that it costs 3.45. Make it happen. Be creative."
.......................
Yesterday, a girl at school was swooning over the accent that I use while speaking English (like, my normal American accent).
That's right. Someone was swooning over MY accent. OH, HOW THE TABLES HAVE TURNED.
.........................
Ethics is my absolute favorite class, partially because of the interesting subject material, but mostly because of the speed at which the teacher speaks (it's perfect--I can write down almost all of what he is saying). So, I get really hype when Ethics is coming up, but then, because Japanese scheduling makes exactly zero sense, 85% of the time, we aren't actually having ethics, even though it's on the schedule. I'm like the girl who get all TGIF on Tuesday, except for I get all TGIEthics, and then it's math. Like, legit, this happened today:
Yuti: "I am SO tired!"
Me: "Me, too, but its Ethics next, so yaaay~"
Yuti: "It's not Ethics, it's math."
Me: "But, I thought Ethics and math switched today?"
Yuti: "Yeah, math switched out for Ethics, but Ethics didn't switch with Math. So, we have Math Twice today, and no Ethics."
*CUE DEFEATED MARCH BACK TO DESK*
..................
My favourite campfire thing that this random old dude spontaneously makes in his backyard on the weekends was back up again, so I went to check it out (AKA, stand at a safe distance so that it is clear that I am not trespassing on this dude's property, and then space out while staring at the fire and thinking about how perfect my Japanese life is), as I am wont to do. But, once I got over there, I realized that there was a random hot dude tending the fire (I hadn't seem him, as he was kneeling), and I was like, "ABORT MISSION, ABORT MISSION," and things were a little bit uncomfortable. I vaguely nodded and greeted him and was like, "hey, campfires are pretty cool" before walking off awkwardly.  But, an enjoyable memory, all the same.
.....................
So, this girl at my school has hardcore resting angry face. Which is a shame, because she's basically the nicest person ever. But at first, I was nervous to talk to her, because I thought she was going to be, like, a super angry/unfriendly person. Biut then it turns out that she's unathletic, and super friendly, so we've bonded now. Yay for ignoring first impressons!
...................... 
How am I still getting emails from National Honor Society? I definitely graduated.
..................
Loving me some Book of Mormon.
.....Why do I enjoy this?
I think we all know why I love this.
(Spoiler alert: It might have something to do with an obsession with irony and satire, and a strong questioning spirit).
..............................
I was doing pretty well re: not listening to Christmas music, but then my classmates were singing Christmas carols, and I broke down and sang with them. It was so much fun! "All I Want for Christmas is You," and Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (they taught me how to sing it in Japanese!). It was pretty legit stuff.
And now I'm back to not breaking my regime, and listening to The Book of Mormon, so s'all good :P
.............................................
.........................
Tumblr Wisdom:
In every painting I've ever seen of Ben Franklin, he looks like someone just stole his parking space.
Google it. Just do it
............................
I just asked my host Grandmother if she could pass on a message to my host Mom, and she looked at me kind of blankly and responded, "I'm drinking alcohol," so I guess that's a no.
She wrote down the message for me (which is that I needed to meet someone at the station at a certain time today), and said that she would give it to my host Mum. I went downstairs and my host Mum was like, "What?! This is the first that I've heard of it!" I brought the note to her and my host Grandmother. My host Grandmother stared at it for a second before saying, "I don't even remember writing that."
............................
...........................
""Yo it’s your boy! You already know who it is!"
Every rapper that is not your boy and who you do not know at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment