Pages

Saturday, April 4, 2015

Japan Journal Nine: Taiyaki is the Work of the Gods, and Other Observations

When I find myself in times of trouble
My Australian comes to me
Speaking words of wisdom
"Just roll with it...the Aussie way, just turn around and say, "I am giving no f**ks today."
Wide advice courtesy of Sarah.
........................
Today, I went to talk to YuTi after school, and she said, "I have to go, Sam and Dean are waiting."
This is why we get along so well. Because she is me.
...........................
My class schedule makes absolutely no sense. Like, I have a list of what classes occur at which times, but, not only are the times different every day even when we DO follow the schedule, we randomly don't follow the schedule like 60% of the time. I'm just like, "Go home, Japan scheduling. You are drunk."
........................
I had a seminar about college today, and the teacher was legit. He was an old Japanese dude with a long beard and a ponytail. My new favourite person.
.............................
Today, I walked into geography (which is held in a different classroom), and there was only one kid in there, as I had arrived early. The kid in question was just looking out the window and whistling. He seemed rather startled by the fact that I had come into the room, as if he wasn't in a shared classroom in which geography was going to start in two minuets. Sorry for disrupting your moment, bro.
....................
Remember when I used to call Kristian by her full name all of the time, for some unknown and baffling reason? Because she probably does.
.................
So, apparently I'm a part of some book club thing, and me and some girls in my class were supposed to meet with the librarian to discuss preparations for the club. I admitted to Mayurin (one of the other girls) that I hadn't read the book at all, and she was like, "Dude, neither did I," so we went into the meeting and just nodded and smiled, as did the other girl. The other girl is very studious, so I was certain that she was on top of things and had read the book. Nope, she didn't, apparently she's just a boss faker. We all just faked it till we made it, to be honest.
....Maybe I should actually read the book before the book club..I want to do so, but I am just so TIREDDD, and busy...mreh.
.......................

I am laughing so hard at this. I don't even know why.
...............
Apparently, they said "Hershey" on yesterday's episode of Supernatural, and Yu-Ti was hype. "You live near Hershey!" I do indeed.
.......................
Happy Halloween from Japan!
I'll be dressing up as Hazel Grace (which I do all of the time, anyway), and listening to this song. Quite the celebration, indeed.
.........................
When I was eight years old, my Mom gave me five dollars to buy myself lunch, and I chose to go hungry and bought a book instead. I think that probably tells you all that you need to know about me. 
 ..........................
Yesterday, I pulled out my pencil box to write something, and one of the ichinensei at my school was like, "Man, pencils, that brings me back," as if she didn't use pencils like two years ago. You're not old enough to be nostalgic about pencils, what is this.
.........................
The sound of the wind rustling tree leaves, of a campfire burning in the silent dusk, of announcements in the classroom, of the streets of merchants welcoming me to their shops, of the clamour and bustle and life of Japan--all thrill and excite me, all leave me feeling full and content.
.............
Winter taiyaki taste like what would happen if all of the gods came down from Mount Olympus and said, "Let's make Erin very happy today." I went to the station with Risa and had pumpkin cream and cheese taiyaki, and by George, they tasted like a party in my mouth. Oh my goodness. So wonderful.
......................
All I have written as a prompt is "Chad Michael Murrey."
Goodness knows with what my brain randomly came up in the middle of English class. I've got nothing.
...Was he in Freaky Friday? Was it about that? Probably. That, or Gilmore Girls. Or "A Cinderella Story." Man, he was really popular circa 2005.
..........................
I heard this song on the radio at the convenience store, and man, it brought back some repressed memories, for sure.
I was like, "...How do I know this..? Why is the familiar to me?" I don't think that I had heard it since I was in sixth or seventh grade...man, memories. I could sing almost the entire thing, too? It was surprising how fast it came back to me. It was a cool moment, for sure.
........................
A guy at a store complimented my Japanese today! It made me very happy. I'm guessing he doesn't see foreigners very often, because he seemed really excited about me being able to speak Japanese.
Also, my Japanese wasn't great at that particular moment; I hadn't eaten at all that day, due to various factors, and it was almost three in the afternoon, so I was on "speak only as much as is absolutely necessary until you can cram some food in your mouth" mode. But hey, thanks, man. It made my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment