Pages

Saturday, April 4, 2015

Japan Journal 3: Libraries, Kaitenzushi, Karaoke Adventures, and Calligraphy Struggles

My thoughts on Japan, raw and as they happened. Part 3!
.....................................
Sally sent me a super nice message (after I sent her one saying that she's basically amazing, because of the fact that she goes to college in America as an exchange student), and she sent me a nice message, which was a great reminder, so I wanted to save it here (and preface it with a horrid run-on sentence):

Hey Yuki! That's so sweet of you to say that:) I'm so glad you are enjoying yourself in japan right now! Take you time make more friends, and be patient, you will be speaking fluent Japanese!
..................................................
So, I don't know if I was super fatigued, or if these videos are actually as hilarious as I thought, but I watched these before I went to bed yesterday, and I was legitimately laughing so hard that I cried
...........................................
Today, everyone in my class was taking midterms, so I got to hang out in the library, and it was legitimately heaven. I'm a nerd and I love books and libraries in general, but being able to go around and read all of the titles, choose ones that I like, see all of the different Japanese books....oh my word, I was in heaven.
Also, I found Catcher in the Rye in Japanese. I may have audibly shrieked with joy.
Just, finding all of the cool books, and getting to read them, and writing down new words....gahh, I'm a literary nerd, and I adored every second of it. In Japan, I'm going the whole "be with people all of the time" thing, and talking, and interacting, which is AWESOME, but just being alone, having that time to practice reading, to check out the library..it made me very, very happy.
My shelf! Special books that I picked out and kept in a special area of the library, just for me <3 


..........................................
I just squirted a large quantity of lime juice in my eyes. It hurt significantly.
How, you ask? I don't even know. I am extremely talented at doing clumsy things, apparently.
The following conversation then ensued (In Japanese, of course)..
Me (pointing at lime): It's in my eyes.
Grandmother: What?
Me (the intense stinging is starting. I am speaking as calmly as is humanly possible): "My eyes hurt. I need water."
Grandmother: What? What did you do?
Me (URGENTLY): MY EYES HURT. I NEED WATER. I NEED A CUP OF WATER, PLEASE.
......She got the idea, after a while. But I was waiting with the stuff in my eyes for a while, and that was unpleasant.
...............................................
Gas here is insanely cheap. Like, 1.50 per gallon. It's nearly four dollars where I live. What the crap, USA.
(EDIT: NO IT'S NOT. IT'S MEASURED IN LITERS, MISTAKES WERE MADE)
..........................................
I think my host sister doesn't like me that much, which is kind of disappointing. I mean, I'll get over it, but I'm here to practice speaking Japanese (amongst many other things, but that one is PRETTY important), so if she were more talkative, or more responsive to my questions, that would be kind of nice. Mreh. I'm hoping I'll look back at this and realize that it got better as time went on, so, we shall see.
.................................
So, from now on, when fandoms don't like the movie adaptation of their book, I think that they should make their own movie and cast it with other fans. And then can call it.....a fanflick. I know, I'm a genius. Thank me later.
Oohh, and when you think that two people on a show would be good friends (think Troy and Abed from Community, although I guess they're more of a brOTP..), they can be your companionSHIP. I'm on a pun roll tonight. This is like that time in ninth grade, when I came up with "Wholigans" as the Doctor Who fandom name, and "vanoclate" as a name for chocolate-vanilla swirl ice cream in the same night. Bringing the rain, as one does. 
.......................................................
I've had conveyor belt sushi twice this week. Japan life, man. I love it.
..............................................
Udonnnn, how I love you! Actually, Japanese food in general is so tasty and delicious, and incorporates so many fruits and vegetables. I just love it. I've been loving persimmons-they are a big fall food here in Japan, and they are delicious! This is the first I've had any--they are rare in America, I suppose? Which is odd, because the climate here differs little from that of Pennsylvania, and there are persimmons trees everywhere(I had to think for a second--I had forgotten the English word for persimmons, yay! Cultural immersion, yo).
.................................................
IT GOT BETTER, YAY!
My host sister likes me, now, woot woot! We went to Karaoke, and I killed some Avril Lavigne, and then she was like, "eh, I guess you're all right." Singing FTW. So, that was satisfying.
 I love karaoke, so much. Like, I'm the worst singer on the planet, but it's so much fun. I tried to choose songs that Kaho would know, so that we could sing them together, and we know a lot of the same ones, which is good. Others, I only really know because of parodies. For example, the only reason I know any Justin Bieber songs is because of Nigahiga. So, while we were singing "Never say Never," I had to fight the urge to sing about peanut butter and dog poop (I typed dog as God at least three times just now. Golly, English is hard). And I had to restrain myself from screaming "THIS IS THE PART WITH THE NANANANA" in 1D. The T Swift was fun, though, and they had Sara Barellis (!!), to which I know all of the words, thanks to Adora and Juno (thanks for helping me not look stupid during karaoke, chikas).
I only deviated from the "sing what Kaho knows" rule for "Love so Pure" (Looove me some Puffy <3 ) and "Lady Maddonna" (love me some Beatles, too). I would have sung more Beatles, but screaming out the words to "Don't Stop" with Kaho was more fun than singing alone.
I decided to sing "Raise your Glass" because 1. Kaho likes P!nk, and 2. I know the Maccabeats parody, but let's just say that the Maccabeats version is a liiiitle bit different. Ish.
....................................................... 
 Not to talk about karaoke forever, but I sang "Stick to the Status Quo" from high school musical, and now I want this shirt, so badly.
.....................................................
Today, one of my friends posted a status about how her third grader learned a bunch of sexual words from other third graders (she provided a list), and I legitimately had to look up half of them on Urban Dictionary.
Apparently I'm behind on slang, possibly because I attended the hot bed of urban Ebonics that is a private religious school in semi-rural Pennsylvania, or possibly because my friends and I spend most of our free time talking about books, homework, blogs, and YouTube. 
I went out to lunch with my host sister and her friends, and I was like, "oh, so this is what normal sixteen year olds talk about.." XD They did not mention books, to my disappointment. 
..................................................
Organization: Japanese people are all about timeliness, so remember to show up at least five minuets early--maybe even ten!
Me: *Shows up ten minuets early*   
 Everyone else: *Shows up five minuets late*
Whatever, man.
..................................
Note to self: stop wearing turquoise to calligraphy. You WILL get ink all over it.
I should honestly just wear all black everything to calligraphy club, honest to goodness. Unfortunately, I love colours and I don't own any black clothing. Strug life, man.
.............................
Today, one of my host sister's friends asked me about the American "egg festival."
...She was talking about Easter.
.................................
There is a super cool poster up at my school, about how gender is not binary, and about LGBT individuals. So awesome. Inclusiveness win! Way to go, Japan.
.................................
I was getting frustrated and tired today in calligraphy, partially because I was really freaking hungry, and partially because-and I cannot stress this enough-I SUCK AT CALLIGRAPHY, and then, at the exact moment when I was like, "I AM DONE WITH THIS MADNESS FOREVER. WHEN WILL I EVER NEED TO KNOW HOW TO DO THIS?!," our teacher brought out a big bag of snacks, and we all sat around and ate, and let's just say, my mood improved drastically after that. Thank you, food. And thank you, Japan, for always bringing me out of my (fairly rare) moments of funk. I love you forever. Both of you. Although Japan, a little bit more than food.

No comments:

Post a Comment